Welcome to The Warp Storm! 👋
While you're welcome to look around we recommend you login or register to get the full benefits of the site, allowing you to talk to our members and show off your work! =]
Paint jobs, conversions, terrain pieces... whatever you're working on!

James #722

Custom Custom Custom
pawl wrote: 08 Jun 20, 01:17 Looking better every time dude!
Thanks mate! Starting to get to the looking good stage now!

I'm mainly sticking to what gw are going for overall.. except I'm going purple for the fleshy pipe things and I don't think I'm going to use the blue rust effect around bolts and stuff (I have gw nilakh oxide and every time I try to use it.. it just looks awful.)
I'll probably look to make abit of glaze out of death guard green and slowly build it up and then wash crevices with agrax. Then highlight with a dg green and a tiny bit of ogryn camo.. aslong as it's darker than the rest of the armour green I think it'll be effective.
Hobby Workshop

pawl #725

Custom Custom Custom
Ah okay! Maybe block, drybrush, wash for the green? Should help you work around the physical limitations of the model, and you can then further the detail the bits that are visible/easily accessible.
(oops, didn't see the end of your post!)
Will you have the space to work with for that? It looks like the area behind the chain mail would be quite tricky.

And I've been rarely seen verdigris-type effects that I've liked, so I would be with you on that. Personally I would stick with 'regular' rust and be done with it.

James #737

Custom Custom Custom
pawl wrote: Will you have the space to work with for that? It looks like the area behind the chain mail would be quite tricky.
I think I'm gna be ok as it's based in a dark green it doesn't really show up at all so I should just be able to focus on the visible bits.
Will probably put another thin layer of death guard green on those bits. And then do a layer of agrax earthshade and then Athonian camoshade to really darken it. Then dg green to highlight. Hoping that will be enough.
Metals nice and dulled from agrax. Will need to nuln oil the silver and I think I'll use reikland on the copper to warm it up a little

pawl #745

Custom Custom Custom
That should do you plenty - they're out of the way and definitely not a focal point.
Looks better for being dulled, as will the silver, but it's still looking very clean. Where are you going from here? =]

James #749

Custom Custom Custom
Did a bit more to the front edging the recesses with agrax.
I've also done the recessed track areas in agrax and Athonian and looks good quite. Can still see but definitely doesn't draw attention.

I think the next step is to do all the rest of the careful recesses in agrax. And then it'll be into edge highlighting the copper in (probably) liberator gold, the silver in runefang, the green in orgyn camo sparingly. Then a few of the detail bits like the bloody bit and the yellow pustules.
Then I guess I'll have to do the weapons!
Then decide what to do with the rust pigments. My rough plan is to use the rust bits on any bits I screw up or don't look so good!
pawl liked this

pawl #753

Custom Custom Custom
It's coming on really nicely mate! Just carry on plodding - no need to rush when you're so close. =]
Have you played with the pigments yet? It's worth finding something to practise on before you commit to this!

James #760

Custom Custom Custom
No I've got some random old minis knocking around I may paint one green and test how the stuff goes on. Any videos or tutorials you'd recommend?

pawl #764

Custom Custom Custom

This is the only one I've watched. I put it on dry, then dab airbrush thinner.
Can't say I really know what I'm doing yet, so the only advice I have is the usual "do it wrong a load of times".

James #779

Custom Custom Custom
I'll take a look now. I've base coated some old 2nd or 3rd edition plague marines to be my test subjects 🤣

Also making good progress. Have done I think all of the fine detail shading on the green armour.

Also I think the recessed sections look good now. I think purple is the wrong choice here so will be changing that.

Also pleased cos I overdid some of the shadow lines and I've been able to correct it. Thankfully. I felt it was a risk even attempting to fix but has turned out well.

pawl #787

Custom Custom Custom
Don't forget that if/when it all goes wrong you can just wet them again and get rid so you can try again. 👌

Weapons aside you could actually get away with it as is! Edge highlighting and weathering will obviously make all the difference though.
Hobby Workshop