Welcome to The Warp Storm! 👋
While you're welcome to look around we recommend you login or register to get the full benefits of the site, allowing you to talk to our members and show off your work! =]
Paint jobs, conversions, terrain pieces... whatever you're working on!
  • No avatar

James #2696

Custom Custom Custom
Oh man ive been there too. Grey's are just as bad too. Do you use vallejo flow improver? Can help.
Pharia liked this
Hobby Workshop
No avatar

Pharia #2697

Another memo is to do the full sword. Then either mask or hold a card or a rigid paper to do the other half..... though i had a small area on the underside of the blade that came off with the tape. Allso the powernode is an issue to get around when masking.... allso a note is the angle for when you spray can be really awkward especially if the hand is as here fixed to the model haha :p a little overapray on the hilt looks in a way natural :D allso never ever go straight for the model before testing the paint on something else first. :S recipie for disaster. But deffo will use this method more to get the hang of it. Finest powersword I've ever made :p effectwise atleast. Could have gone brighter on the paint side of things. But the margin there is just so small. Or atleast thats what I noticed. :p
No avatar

Pharia #2698

No I think I need to order it. I have theyr thinner and cleaner for airbrush products ;)

pawl #2710

Custom Custom Custom
@James, have you tried the white ink through your airbrush yet? The coverage on that is insane, and I seem to remember reading that it's much easier to throw through an airbrush.

@Pharia, I think that red robes (yes, 'garb' was a suitable word there 😉) would possibly leave him too red overall, but I could be wrong. I rather like him as he is.
Pharia liked this
No avatar

Pharia #2711

@pawl yes after the power effect on the sword was done the "garb" and everything just came together. And looking at him from tabletop distance I really like him :D very happy. Ill attach hes transfers and base him + varnish him tonight and get ready to start on the other two :D
Though do you have some info on ravenwing vs raven guard painting wise @pawl is it the same black usually only different aquila?

Really pushed myself on this guy. Trying to freehand and useing my airbrush to make special effects... This ofc is far from perfect but im really happy. The freehand could ofc be cleaner but if I continue to work on it ill just make it worse hahahaha. Ill post a picture of him this evening

Just need to darken the robes to get a dirty feel close to the ground ;)

pawl #2714

Custom Custom Custom
Both the Raven Guard and the Ravenwing are known for wearing jet black armour, but in practice you don't necessarily have to do this.
Painting with pure black is difficult because it leaves you no posibility for shadows. Instead it's quite common to see black represented by very dark grey, or by a black-to-grey gradient (similar to the video James linked in the airbrush topic). You can also mix in other colours - both the RG and RW would work very well with a slight blue tint - not only is black pigment usually in fact a very dark blue, but shadows and darkness usually have a blue colour to them.
So black is black, but the ways you can represent it vary massively.

There's no such thing as perfect, but you should definitely be pleased - I think he's coming out very well indeed! 😁

Have you ever tried pigment powders for things like dirt?
No avatar

Pharia #2716

I noticed in the new SM codex that they painted the raven guard tanks in pure black. As you say its allmost to black for my taste. It doesn't look right since as you say nothing is really pure black when considering lighting and stuff. All the pictures I've seen of black armored SM has been like you say a really dark grey and black where there's not much light hitting the armor;) allso pure black in the middle of big areas (middle of armor plates etc.

No I've never tried pigment powder. I've never really dwelled outside GW paintrange tbh:p some of the stuff that you are talking about on the website is way outside what I've used :p Probably since they dont sell anything in any shops that I've seen around here :p

James #2722

Custom Custom Custom
@pawl not used the white yet. But that osl vid i wana copy uses it. So soon 🤞🤞
Pharia liked this

pawl #2731

Custom Custom Custom
@Pharia: don't worry mate, we'll ease you in slowly 😉 pigment powders are really good for making things look dirty though, certainly better than paints. When using them you also have the option of removing them easily if you think you've gone overboard, which is nice.

@James: I don't know how you don't have a testing model that just gets everything thrown at it as soon as you buy something! 😂

James #2735

Custom Custom Custom
Cos if i tested everything i bought id never complete anything 🤣🤣
It'll all find a use eventually lol
Pharia liked this
Hobby Workshop