Welcome to The Warp Storm! šŸ‘‹
While you're welcome to look around we recommend you login or register to get the full benefits of the site, allowing you to talk to our members and show off your work! =]
The Old World to the Broken Realms

Karak Norn Clansman #4858

*Being a copy-over of the original thread. [Check it out](https://discourse.chaos-dwarfs.com/t/ar ... tart/23397) for @Uther.the.unhinged 's glorious brainstorming! Second post will continue with running updates.*

Artist Matthew Klaas de Witte is currently starting on an exploratory project to map out new concept artwork for Human natives of Albion.
Before I begin on the lore I wrote for Albion, I have to say that it is a tremendous amount of thinking going into two things I love. That is, the original Warhammer Fantasy universe, and La Tene culture. For this one I took a look at the few extant official artworks of the natives of Albion and noticed the presence of Great Eagles in the picture so I decided to make the next logical step I then formed a tribe around the eagles and their leader who is very obviously Boudicca following in the sometimes unoriginal naming footsteps of GW. Buddug is Welsh for Boudicca.
Find out more in the description for each art piece on DA that will be linked-to here, and if you very much like the concept or have ideas to share, be welcome to also leave a comment below his Deviantart pieces.

First out, Buddug of the Toulenii:

Buddug and Andarta:
Original Fan Content

Buddug and her personal Great Eagle Andarta, golden of colour and exceptionally large. A gift of the sun god Toulenos. (Combination of Toutatis and Belenos)

A sneak peek into another tribe!

The Toulenii are an Order aligned Albionic tribe that occupy the oppidium of Toulenos' Roost high in the Beast Peaks of Albion. They are most associated with the Great Eagles their elite ride into battle and patrol the Beast Peaks for armies of the (now departed) Chaos demon Belakor marching South from the Citadel of Lead, of course when they are not fighting among the other tribes. Buddug is their chieftain and rides upon the greatest of Great Eagles the Golden One: Andarta. But is sure not to stray West into the homeland of the Giants of Albion. She wields a spear steeped in magic, and fires magical arrows which are willed to their target.

The fort in the background is based on a Broch.

Andarta's breastplate is adorned with trophy skulls and the weapons of enemies!

Vaiorix of the Boreni:

Vaiorix is chief of the Boreni. It utilizes its location nearby the main herding grounds of great hogs to use them as mounts. These animals have potential to grow greater in size than the ones of the Old World and Vaiorix rides one from a bloodline cultivated by the chieftains of old to be the largest and most spirited of all great hogs. He and his tribe take the mantle of protecting the Great Ogham, The most important and largest stone circle in Albion, it channels much of the power that is used by Truthsayers. Knowledge and wisdom old and new is recorded upon its many stone edifices by the Truthsayers. He is immensely proud to a fault, he does not allow for anyone of other tribes to trespass without the blessings of the native Thruthsayers.

He wields javelins imbued with the power of Light blessed by his lover; an excommunicated Truthsayer. and a magical reflective shield akin to the ones used by the elite Woad Bearer units. Said shields can reflect spells back at the offending mage. The one he uses was made in the Forge of the Old Ones, made of Old Ones forged Archbronze which is denoted by its undulating rivulets that shift as it moves.

I looked to the map of Albion as inspiration for the peoples I made, using the "Great Hogs" mark and location to make a tribe and chieftain. Their location next to the marker to "Great Ogham" seemed apt to make thm protectors of this place because it seemed to be one of enough importance to write on the map. But as per usual, it is a lot of inventing on my part.

Questions answered:
Yes this is an expansion on 8th edition.
I made the natives of Albion able to craft weapons and armour that could make them able to fight on the level of the other races.

Draiorix

Druids were the cultural, religious, and judicial leaders of their people. So I decided to do give them the same treatment for Warhammer Albion, of course they're called "Truthsayers" in 8th edition. Each tribe of Albion has an assigned Turthsayer, and each of them report to the Council of Truthsayers which meet at the Pillar of Og Agog, which is subsequently headed by the being called Draoiorix, king of the Truthsayers. It sits upon its throne atop the pillar in its most relatable form, a man of advanced age. Though Draoirix is a being of unknown form or age. It is a shapeshifter. A supreme adept of the Lore of Light, Life, and Beasts. It is so old and assumed countless forms that it does not remember what its original identity was, or even if it is relevant anymore. It acts as a kind of spiritual leader and guardian of the inhabitants of the island, but belongs to no single tribe. It acts on its own accord, and goes where, when, and how it pleases.
The King of the Giants

Original fan content

Here we see the King of the Giants facing off against Draoiorix the king of the Truthsayers, and protector of Albion. Drawing power from the ogham stones that dot the isle to cast a powerful spell likely to distract him and send him away from a human population.

In truth it has no name, but is called this by the folk who have the misfortune of sharing Albion with him. He is the height of a Bonegrinder Giant, he carries a titanic sacred ogham stone as a bludgeoning device, a magical necklace of man sized ogham stones, a tremendous moustache, and a belt of shields belonging to all the tiny-things it has crushed. An immensely powerful being, the King normally frolics among his kin in the Giant's Causeway and Beast Peaks, sticking to the mountain range in the centre-North of the Isle. Descending to gather ingredients to make intoxicating beverages, or to steal from the unfortunate inhabitants of Albion. Throwing rocks at nosey ships of the various foreign races of the world attempting to make landfall (and laughing about it) is also a favourite past-time. The King has no title to lord over his brethren, he just happens to be the biggest, meanest, and hairiest, and this holds great sway in the giant world. Also he has a big smashy stick.

Draoiorix though also immensely powerful, and likely the most powerful being on the isle, does not try to subdue the giants. They are necessary to keep balance on the island, and scare away pesky invaders. But the King has a trick, it is his magical necklace of (previously) standing stones which protects him from the influences of chaos and magic spells. This does not stop him from sometimes aiding the corrupted Albion natives of Chaos that live in the North, so long as they steadily supply him and his friends with good drink. His only allegiance after all is to alcohol, and the pursuit of it. But when they run out, he adds a few more shields to his belt.
Vaia of the Belenii

With any location on the map, I have to make due with what is available, which is absolutely nothing beyond the image itself. Llenog is clearly an important location, as it is one of only two settlements/ fortifications that are illustrated (beyond a hut shape).

Though the tribes of Albion are deeply divided, The Belenii of The Tower of Llenog are its most powerful and the fortifications are the island's most impressive. The spire of the main hold strikes prominently into the sky, and can be seen well for miles, which is saying much as the island is often shrouded in fog.

If ever a capital were to be needed for an alliance it would be here.

The chief is proud and perhaps worthy of it, as she commands Albion's largest army, and greatest settlement. She bears the huge and incendiary Spear of the Heavens into battle, a sign of favour from the gods of the sky and fire. Aboard a near unstoppable bronze chariot (worry not, this all will appear) that casts its enemies aside like wake on the waters surface.
Small Hillfort

A small fortification for a minor chieftain. The structures are based on "brochs". I capped the thatched spires with some La Tene, and Pictish symbols. Thureos, and Carnyxes to adorn the ramparts.

To be honest I pull a lot of ideas that I had from my Stonemen and they're getting a little muddled. But maybe that's the way "La Tene fantasy" is, because I haven't seen anyone else do it. (not saying it doesn't exist)
Ternoash the Deceiver

Unofficial fan content

Dark Emissaries are naturally deceitful creatures, and as mercenaries: manipulating their hires into aiding their own machinations. None are more dastardly and Skaven-like than Tornoash, who betrayed even his own master (the daemon Be'lakor) for favour with Tzeentch. Even now he serves no-one, aside occasionally (though with no small amount of spurring) the forces of Chaos. He is more fond of wandering and collecting trinkets from the world, and of foes he has bested, all which aid him in gaining power. A head and hand of a powerful Dark Elf sorcerer who underestimated his foe, which remain animated and tied to his waist so that he may mock it, or ask for advice (by force). A skull of a Bray-Shaman. The Black Stone of Orounnos. The Dagger of Gelenth. And a gift from Tzeentch, a staff which has been ensouled with a Lord of Change that fell afoul of its master and was trapped within. He also has a bag of disgusting treats for the road, mostly live invertebrates.
Alfrithr the Red

Original Fan Content

A hulking Norscan warrior with a thick red mane. Her lot has soured in Norsca and has been exiled to Albion, here she tries her luck again. With the mighty axe: "Blodscreamer" in hand she wrests a foothold in the North for her new tribe, contesting the natives, Chaos and Order alike. She is the head of a new invasion. Will she be ousted by a newcomer? Or will Ternoash challenge her might?

Norsca is very close to Albion on the map so I decided it would be cool to have a Hero who is an outsider, either aiding or challenging the local forces of Chaos.

I'm also considering disregarding the Dark Shadows campaign and its results from back in 2001 in my worldbuilding (thoughts?).

I had an idea ways back for a female Norscan heroine and this is based on that. I don't get that they could come up with such out of this world ideas for Warhammer, but the idea of a female character in a lot of the lore was unheard of. I know they did it with the High Elves, and (poorly) with Dark Elves, Bretonnian Damsels, Wood Elf mages etc. I mean you have people riding around on Dragons, what's the big stretch in
believability when it comes to female characters?

Anyways.

Pillar of Og Agog

Unofficial fan content

Atop the Pillar is the seat of Draoiorix (whichever form it decides to assume), the great dolmen channels the winds of magic on a far greater level than any other. From here the Truthsayers hold council, and decide the fate of the people of Albion: political disputes, interpreting religion, and law, but only things of import. Wreathed around the clearing are gigantic trees.

To the Truthsayers, the Lore of Life is the most important of all magical disciplines. And so, trees grow to mighty heights in an adept's presence.
Brightwoad Beaerer

Matthew Klaas de Witte wrote:Unofficial fan content

The Brightwoad Bearer has been tattooed with Magical Woad. The dye comes from sap that is tapped from a special type of tree, it is not truly woad but similar in colour, and contains photophores. A closely guarded secret of the Truthsayers; only they know how to extract, distill, and use it on warriors to apply its extremely potent effects. The process is otherwise too dangerous to undertake, and will cause death in the wearer if not done by an experienced hand. Even when it is properly done, the wearer slowly goes mad from the chemicals within seeping into their bloodstream. While sane, and even when completely lost to a drooling rage, the warrior is a devastating unit of shock infantry. Fighting with preternatural speed, strength and agility. But the most powerful aspect of this woad is that it has been known to chip an axe and break arrows. They are not truly invulnerable, but it does provide great protection that unnerves and surprises the enemy.

This particular warrior is carrying a shield of Arch-bronze, and a sword which has been made in the Forge of the Old Ones. Identifiable by its undulating pattern.

I had to make a decision on what to make as the elite unit of Albion, something like a Phoenix Guard, or Temple Guard. I thought about what the most famous unit was from the Celtic world, something that people who have almost no knowledge about them might know about. Woad wearing naked warriors. Charioteers were my second idea, and they will come. I am thinking I would like to push the unit further into fantasy, glowing eyes and more jewellery. I would also like to push the glowing aspect of the woad.

Arch-bronze is my way of including bronze in an otherwise mostly medieval fantasy. Because it looks better than steel imo. And it adds to the Celtic aesthetic.

Manhirs of Albion

What better than animated standing stones than to fill the role of large and extra large units for the natives of Albion?

These are comprised of Manhirs and Manoliths. The latter being the larger. These are permanently animated beings created by adept Truthsayers who focus on the Lore of Life. The constitution of Ogham stones are a secret to all except Truthsayers, and only they know how to use their magic to bring these beings to life. Though understandably slow they posess well, giant rocks tied together with roots for bodies, it is best to try your luck running away unless you have some on your side.
Brightwoad Bearer II

More of what I had in mind for the glowing woad and eyes than the previous iteration.

I designed them to be the ultimate unit for order-aligned Albion. Drawing their power from the magical brightwoad permanently etched upon them by only the few Truthsayers who know how. This deflects attacks greater than armour and even more magic! But at the cost of the wearer's sanity which will fray until the man becomes a lunatic foaming at the mouth that is hellbent on violence.
Chief Vaia Aboard Her Chariot

Unofficial original fan-made content

The Chief of the Tower of Llenog, the mightiest tribe of Albion. Wielding her legendary fire-spewing spear that descended from the sun itself into the spot where the tower was later built. A present of the god of the sun, to the Albion's first and only king, to unite its people and make them mighty.

I never really knuckled down and pursued this project hard. maybe I should have done that a year ago. I find it difficult to really push myself beyond reality into warhammerish nonsense when coming up with original ideas for Albion. How do I bring Celts into a Warhammer setting? How do I make them powerful enough to fight the other races without being broken? How do I come up with interesting fantastical units that fit into the 'verse?

Britonic Celts loved to use their chariots so it makes perfect sense to implement that into their unit roster, and if we can push it farther to the point where it is a specialty and strength that perhaps they have better chariots than other races then that also makes sense.
Henge Chariot

Matthew Klaas de Witte wrote:Original fan content

"It's a shame you can't just pick up the Ogham Stones and take them with you, they're so helpful casting spells, but never in exactly the right place when you need them" - Boio Windspeaker, Truthsayer of The Circle. Unwitting inventor of the Henge Chariot.

The Ogham Stones augment the winds of magic, improving the quality of spell, and ease of casting. Other Truthsayers scoffed and even laughed at Boio's idea, but when he took it into battle there was no laughing, only the screams of his enemies.
Master de Witte has started to pick up on concept ideas from over on Chaos Dwarfs Online:

Bowler

Bowlers are large (even for a warrior of Albion) slingers who hurl large stones. You may think you need to get close to not have to confront getting your helm caved-in by massive stones. But upon inspecting their size, you may think out-ranging them with your own missiles would be a smarter approach. At higher levels, these men wear better armour and hurl magical carved shots imbued by Truthsayers. While they can't throw as far as a normal slinger, they hit extremely hard.

Thanks for the inspiration from a user from a message board by the name of Uther the Unhinged. Who suggested magical sling stones. I think it's a great way to add to their uniqueness!
Chief Begorix and Hoggarix

Matthew Klaas de Witte wrote:Begoix is chief of the Boreni. The tribe is located nearby the main herding grounds of great hogs which it uses as mounts. These animals have potential to grow greater in size than the other boars of Albion and the Old World, and Begorix rides Hoggarix, who comes from a bloodline cultivated by the chieftains of old to be the largest and most spirited of all great hogs. He and his tribe take the mantle of protecting the Great Ogham, The most important and largest stone circle in Albion, it channels much of the power that is used by Truthsayers. Knowledge and wisdom old and new is recorded upon its many stone edifices by the Truthsayers. He is immensely proud to a fault, he does not allow for anyone of other tribes to trespass without the blessings of the native Thruthsayers.
Hurler

Though fierce warriors all, the natives of Albion do enjoy sporting. Even so, it is a violent game, with many finding their mouths on the receiving end of a hurley. Those competent enough at the sport may decide to convert it into warfare, striking stone balls at their enemies, then switching to bladed sticks, with a metal pommel so it can be used for smashing heads after ammunition is gone. These warriors can strike their shots while moving and hit them further than the "bowlers" can throw.

I was watching an Irish film and had this idea strike me. While I'm not sure how far one can hit a stone with a hurley, and then there being enough force behind it to kill, let's just conveniently suspend that part of reality shall we? :D

Armor was inspired by the Glauberg Prince, combined with Halstatt studs.
Wicker Man

The Truthsayers know a myriad of secrets, not all of them are good. The ability to animate the Manhirs and Manoliths into machinations of war are one thing, the Wicker Men are more curious still. Even rarer, and of dubious origins, they instill fear in their allies and enemies. A chieftain will not turn away the help but it will give him unease. What powers them? What causes the being to burn without being consumed? Ask not, only see the path to victory before you, whose blazing trail has been bought with the screams of the burning soul trapped within.
Champion of Oghams

These great warriors are tasked with protecting the most sacred stone circles that populate Albion. While a standard standing-stone channels and amplifies the Winds of Magic, the stone circles don't just amplify them greatly, but contain wisdom and knowledge from the aeons inscribed in ogham upon them. They are of utmost importance to the peoples of Albion, and must have their chosen protectors.

I wanted to show the ways I could make La Tene inspired plate armour. And design a non-charcter hero-style unit
Cornu Players

Matthew Klaas de Witte wrote:The Cornu is a magical war trumpet that inspires its army to feats of glory, each style has its own sound and affects the listener differently. The immense amount of work and care that goes into each one belies its importance to the people of Albion. These are not common instruments, neither is it a common man who plays them!

--------------------

I wanted to combine the different styles of La Tene trumpets. But I'm not sure where I got the idea for a wrap-around. I most definitely saw it somewhere.
Citadel of Lead

The hold is constructed upon the ruins of an ancient structure built by Old Ones. The demon Be'lakor, and the labour of slaves assembled the Citadel, most of which died, upon his leaving the island it came under the control of the wizard Ternoash, who visits on occasion but leaves in the hands of his many puppets. It is hidden deep in the Chaos tainted North, nigh impossible to find in the heavy mists and treacherous bogs that surround it, and even when you do find it, what will you do but despair? The walls are woven with lead, and the central tower is completely metal while twisted abominations created by the Deceiver lurch and flap between the ramparts. While the demon Be'lakor was able to garrison and arm the citadel to the brim, it is still powerful without him.
Buddug

Buddug is the great eagle riding archer, Chief of the Toulenii.

I wanted to redesign her helmet as it is the personality of the character and I felt that the original was too generic. and I wanted to draw her for fun.
Mutant Tyrant

Matthew Klaas de Witte wrote:All chaos followers actively seek the favour of the Dark Gods, and yet they are fickle with their "blessings" coming in many awful forms, most of the time the negative outweighing the positive. Within the North of Albion the mist-laiden bogs contain secrets that should not be found and many who seek its power return forever translated into mindless mutants of a myriad of shapes.

Ternoash is a wizard of exceptional power, and such Tzeentch has granted him the gift to bestow mutations upon subjects. This is done within his massive cauldron in the central tower of the Citadel of Lead, and is one of the only "sure" ways of gaining powers via mutations. That said, perhaps asking "The Deceiver" for power by hopping into a mutagenic cauldron inside a dread citadel is not the most intelligent course of action. Very few if any return with cognitive ability above that of a simple beast, thus they become enslaved to Ternoash.
Carnyx of the Gods

The Carnyx has immense magical properties, it is as rare as it is powerful and so is the magic woven into the earth that suspends it across the field of battle. The massive instrument must be held up by arms of arcbronze laden with gold, and played by three individuals. It confers immense strength unto its allies, the mere sight of it rallies men to the most lost of causes.

I wanted to bring in a carnyx, but I didn't want it to be the same as the cornu I already depicted. So I made it really really big. But how would it be held? It would need something to hold it up. After I figured out the type of stand for it, it took me many drawings to figure out how it would be brought to the battlefield. Originally on a chariot, but I had enough of drawing them for now, and I felt that it was getting repetitive. I remembered that Karl Kopinski painting of Karl Franz fighting a giant, with the floating towers in the background and it gave me an idea to make a floating henge-hillock of sorts suspended by magic. This took about a week to properly flesh out the idea working between that and other art and fighting a cold.
This map has been shared by Lord Agragax of Lunaxoatl over on Lustria Online:

Lord Agragax of Lunaxoatl wrote:As Matt hasnā€™t created any Albion artwork of late due to other projects, to keep this thread going Iā€™ve been working on a map of Albion and the various factions on it, based upon one that @Warden made for his Dragon Isles Samurai Clans in one of his lore threads (here). Iā€™ve included all three of the major tribes that Matt has devised, plus territory that belongs to the Truthsayers as I thought they would have the same level of power the Druids had over the actual Celtic tribes (I would say akin to that which the Pope possessed over the various countries of Medieval Europe), surviving enclaves of Fimir (as I found that some of them still live on the island), the armies of corrupted tribesmen that follow Beā€™lakor (which Iā€™ve called the Hordes of Shadow or Shadow Clans) and the Norse, as theyā€™re portrayed as controlling much of Albion in Warhammer: Total War and I thought it would provide continuity to replicate some of that.

The emblems were all borrowed from Rome: Total War, Rome II: Total War (in the case of the Truthsayers emblem) and Warhammer: Total War (the emblems for all three of the evil factions here are Norse faction emblems in the game, but I thought the green one would be good for Fimir because of the central ā€˜eyeā€™ in the middle of the four Chaos spikes, and the Chaos star would be appropriate for Beā€™lakorā€™s corrupted clansmen)

Iā€™ve decided to revise my map to acknowledge this segment of Mattā€™s feedback:

Iā€™ve incorporated the Great Ogham into Boreni territory and swapped the positions of the Belenii and Toulenii around to give the Belenii access to the Tower of Llenog (which actually isnā€™t on this map but on a similar more detailed version is present in the region Iā€™ve given to the Belenii, between the two lots of marshes).
Lordofskullpass over on EEFL has written the first Albion army list, based on de Witte's work. Check it out!
lordofskullpass wrote:For a long time I've been avidly following the development of a certain Matt Klaas de Witte's interpretation of the island of Albion, as I think it's far better than the version GW developed in the Dark Shadows campaign of yesteryear. Additionally, for the past year-ish I have been developing my own unofficial army list for this version of Albion, so that those who are fed up of GW's cavemen and Matthias Eliasson's fantasy Highlanders can play an army of proper Iron Age Celts for a change, as the Celts were at their most powerful and advanced during the La Tene period, which could have lasted much longer had it not been for everyone's favourite Latin-speaking xenophobes and copycats bringing such new-fangled nonsense as 'discipline', 'uniform' and 'mass murder in gladiatorial arenas' to ancient Europe. So, without further ado, I present to you the first draft of my Albion army list for Warhammer Fantasy 8th Edition!

Beyond the Old World and the 'civilised' lands of Bretonnia and the Empire lies the island of Albion, the birthplace of mankind. Those who travel there believe it is nothing more than an island of mists, bogs and ancient ruins, yet are oblivious to the fact that it is home to an advanced civilisation even older than the desert kingdoms of Nehekhara, who possess secrets taught to them by the Old Ones themselves. Proud tribal Overkings lead their people in a neverending war to not just survive, but thrive, against such abominations as the monstrous Fimir, barbarous Norse and, worst of all, the savage and bloodthirsty warriors enslaved by Be'lakor, the first Daemon Prince of Chaos. At the sonorous call of Carnyx warhorns, rank upon rank of brave, honourable warriors charge across the field, with nimble cavalry and deadly chariots sweeping along the flanks and mighty constructs infused with the power of the earth ploughing into the foe. The mystical wards of the Truthsayers and the divine predictions of the Oracles fuel the strength of their sword-wielding brethren, while the myriad shock troops of the island's tribes deal the hammer blow that crushes the enemy advance once and for all. While the colonies of humanity to the south languish in decadence, poverty and greed, the first of its nations battles endlessly to keep the world safe from the foul taint of Chaos.

This army consists of a combination of units and characters devised by Matt, some created based upon my knowledge of real-world ancient Celtic tribal armies and additional units inspired by GW's interpretation to retain at least a semblance of faith toward GW's source material. As with my Swarms of the Hive Mind army list I have tried to maintain a combination of balance and thematic fun in the unit choices and profiles, though this army will require extensive playtesting by myself and others before true balance can be achieved. All my unofficial army lists aim to reach the 'middle tier' of balance in the Warhammer Fantasy rankings, because the game is more fun if all armies have their own strengths and weaknesses, and I attach the first draft of my Albion list below:
drive.google.com/file/d/1u3l6Ph_doPiS8VpGGV5K96XvyBVefTkn/view?usp=sharing
From E-mail conversation with Matt de Witte:
Matthew Klaas de Witte wrote:Truthsayers

The moral, legal, spiritual, and cultural guides of the people of Albion are also powerful mages. But only those that hold any sway on these aforementioned institutions on the isle are a part of the mysterious Circle of Truthsayers, a hierarchy of individuals headed by The Seven, The Three, then The One, in that order. The Seven are not of little note, they hold great sway on the island and are active in its politics. The Three are the heads of each sanctioned discipline of magic Light, Life, and the Hunt, with the foremost being Life, seen as the most benevolent. The One is Draoiorix, the most powerful being on Albion, The Formless One.
Though they practice the same disciplines as other races only 3 are sanctioned by Circle Truthsayers. It is possible to practice others but they are only discovered on your own and not taught by The Circle. The only possibility to gain proficiency is to seek outside assistance. If one does go on the path of another discipline of magic, you will be exiled from The Circle, you may still fight for Albionic tribes, a chieftain will likely not refuse such help, but it comes at the cost of losing this grand connection to the most powerful group in Albion.

Spells used on here are not like any other because the island is isolated, thus, it did not develop along the same path as the outside world. Though some may closely resemble those invoked by other races it is purely a coincidence.

You may practice other forms of magic openly, though it is frowned upon by the Truthsayer aristocracy. You may not practice these forms if you want to hold any position of power or be included in the Order of the Truthsayers. It will cause you to be immediately expelled if you are caught, and even if it happened in the past. This is a large reason for some to leave the order to become mercenaries, heretics, and outcasts. Though it must be added that there have been good and noteworthy men and women who have used magics of other forms to benefit Albion and its tribes. But those who dabble in these magics, combined with their spurned nature oft turn to Chaos, becoming Dark Emissaries.
Hobby Workshop

Karak Norn Clansman #4859

Wicker Man

Matthew Klaas de Witte wrote:Some souls never rest, and those whose fury rages from the beyond continues to do so in the mortal plane. Only the highest Truthsayer can beckon the bravest souls from their interdimensional home of the Isle of Wights to return. But they must have a vessel to return to: their old armour, standing stones, or in this case a woooden idol. But souls are not always the purest, those who lived their lives on the field of battle can not be expected to set aside these traumatic experiences so easily even after death of their human vessel. These are the Wicker Men. Powerful warriors in life whose anger burns with ethereal energy, whose flames repeatedly consume the idol constructed for them to return to.
- - -

From e-mail conversation:

[quote="Matthew Klaas de Witte]Isle of Wights

Albion tribes believe that the souls of brave souls both men and animals go to rest on the Isle of Wights. The island itself is physical, but upon it is an interdimensional portal between realms. The body does not travel to the island. The island is one of the greatest prizes to Necromancers, though none have set foot there of course, it is defended by the God of the Dead, and the dead spirits that inhabit it.

Some souls that go are not finished with their work in the realm of mortals, though they are not allowed leave the island, they can be beckoned by Circle Truthsayers and infused into things like Manhirs, or Wicker Men depending on their personality in life. Even a suit of armour, so long as it is physical. These souls still have thoughts and memories of their lives and may even visit loved ones or descendants. The Circle Truthsayer does not have the final say on if the soul can return, but is a request to the God of the Dead who has the final say in the matter.

Only the bravest men can be beckoned to return as Spirit Warriors, they inhabit their arms and armour they used in life so long as it is not utterly destroyed. They are among the most powerful units available to Albion, because they difficult to banish back to the Isle of Wights, and they were mighty warriors in life.

Examples of Spiritual units: Manhirs, Wicker Man, Manolith, Spirit Warriors, Stone horses (boars and stags as well).[/quote]
James liked this

Karak Norn Clansman #4878

Amber Truthsayers

Matthew Klaas de Witte wrote:Original fan content

As the people of Albion have little inhibitions about the human form, Amber wizards wear little to no clothing, a cloak of fur, and of course as their status of Truthsayer demands, much jewellery of magical or purely aesthetic qualities. They are muscular and lean like the animals they can shapeshift into. They pale in comparison to other human wizards that study this lore this way, as a nature worshiping culture would: wild things are honoured and therefore are a trait worthy of seeking as it is one of the three lores approved of by Draoiorix and the Circle of Truthsayers.
Truthsayers that study the Hunt can call real or summon more powerful ethereal beasts to do their bidding. They also give strength to animals that follow them into battle antlers, teeth, hide, and talons become like steel. The most talented can use these enchantments on men or themselves. They can shapeshift into mighty beasts as well and is perhaps their most beloved quality among their kin.

Trying out many combinations of media
James liked this

Karak Norn Clansman #4994

Spirit Warrior

You may have followed my Warhammer Albion series. I look to the aged map for guidance on how to design units, and characters, and combine it with the various Celtic cultures through the ages (Mostly La Tene). The Isle of Wights was problematic because I could not figure out how to integrate it without it just being a place for Necromancy, which I thought was a little predictable. I came upon the idea to combine the Gallic belief in reincarnation, and that the undead do not HAVE to be evil, kind of like how white in MTG can also return creatures from the graveyard. Though I wouldn't describe my version of Albion very nice either, they are order aligned but tribes still war with one another, including chaos.

Souls can be beckoned from the Isle of Wights, a place where spirits of Albion go when they die, but only with permission from the Goddess of Death and Rebirth. Only the most powerful Truthsayers belonging to the Circle can do this, and it is only upon request, and it is only for the mightiest of warriors to return. Upon accepting the request they are sent from their dwelling place, inside a portal on the Isle of Wights, to inhabit a suit of armour, clothing, Manhir (animated Henges), or a Wicker Man (everimmolating wooden man) These souls still have thoughts and memories of their lives and may even visit loved ones or descendants though it is not encouraged as the experience can be traumatic for the spirit who must come to terms with their death. Indeed their personality shines through their rebirth, and request arms and armour, and accoutrements that are beholden to a mighty warrior of their standing in life, even polishing and repairing the armour that they now inhabit. When they finish their desired tasks they return once again to the Isle of Wights to rest. The things they inhabited are said to be imbued with their power after their final departure from the mortal plane.

They are among the most powerful and rare of entities available to Albion.

Karak Norn Clansman #5008

King Verartorix
Matthew Klaas de Witte wrote:Legends tell of a massive ancient sword lost, whose blade was sealed inside a cube of stone and that one who pulls it from this stone will be Chief of all chiefs, or ā€œkingā€. Thus uniting the warring tribes of Albion under a single banner, and finally embark into the outside world bringing about a golden age of conquest.

A rather unremarkable tribesman of Albion was lost in the woods looking for this sword, and prayed to the gods to find his way out. None answered, as there is no god in Albion associated with finding ones way. However there is a god not of Albion that knows all, even the location of a mythical sword, and so faintly guided the poor lost soul to its resting place. The man was astounded at the find, truly a major point of Albionic history would be marked this day, should he tell the Truthsayers and they record it. But one quick attempt should be made firstā€¦ Try as he might he could not wrest it from the stone. The ogham script spoke of the legend, the magical carvings sealed the sword away only for the one who is worthy. But why should it not be he? The one who found the sword should be the one that wields it.

He would leave the woods and return to his village, building muscle, and some renown as a warrior within his tribe as is the way of Albion. Years passed, and obsession gained, he would leave his village for the shrine of the sword to try again and again each day. It would consume him, and the god that knows all saw an opportunity, for this god is also the god of trickery, and plotting though he would never want to fulfil such a powerful prophecy, he would give the tribesman a way to lift the sword without pulling it out of the stone.

And so the tribesman whose name had meant little to the world gained impossible otherworldly strength, and ripped the stone out of the ground with the sword still in it. In his addled mind he had fulfilled the prophecy, he is now King of the Chiefs Verartorix! But what of the chiefs ? They refuse him, warriors attack the twisted man on sight, and he is wholly rejected from society.

The thing would travel North, and find kin in a former enemy, the expansive swamps and the Citadel of Lead to the North, the former stronghold of the First Everchosen. From there he gathers men of power behind him, a crown is fashioned for his brow, and he smashes those that stand in his way. Especially those that claim to be Chiefs, when their King has revealed himself! They are pretenders and must be smashed. He crushes them, and in Albionic tradition fashions the most prized skulls to his waist.

The sword is impossibly large, was it even meant to be unsheathed? Or a story given life by some ancient sculptor wishing to tell a simple tale? Whatever the answer, the blade should extend well beyond where it had been ripped from the ground. *(I really just ran out of space)
Hobby Workshop