Welcome to The Warp Storm! 👋
While you're welcome to look around we recommend you login or register to get the full benefits of the site, allowing you to talk to our members and show off your work! =]
Paint jobs, conversions, terrain pieces... whatever you're working on!

Badger_of_doom #3142

After being bugged and bugged by @James to buy some ridiculous smoke things to stand my inceptors on I final decided to defy him and do my own attempt at basing a model.

so the first step was to take a barrel I made from a copper pipe connector and painted in macragge blue followed by some failed attempt at weathering i did when i initially started hobbying and glue it to the base of the model. followed by a few nice-looking pieces of gravel.i raised one end slightly using a bit of card i had lying around
i then went on to cover the base in armageddon dust texture paint and shaped a few recesses into it followed by a shade of agax earthshade and a drybrushing of ushabti bone

next came the leap of faith where i wanted the spilt toxic sludge effect to go and do an undercoat of tesseract glow.

i quickly scrapped my initial idea of using pva glue to get a toxic waste effect and got myself some of this.(following the advice of @James )

so I mixed the epoxy glue with some tesseract glow paint before adding the hardening compound to the mixture and then applied it to the base where i wanted it to look like the toxic waste had been spilled.

lastly i added a few tufts of grass before gluing the model to the base

and the final look is spoiled by the poor painting of the mini but i am happy with the base
Hobby Workshop

James #3143

Custom Custom Custom
I still stand by what i say. Get the smoke trails 🤣🤣
But i am quite impressed by what you've done here 👏
How much was the epoxy? How fast was the drying time? Id be keen to see how it looks for a clear effect too. Wonder if its superior to uv resin or not. Definitely looks superior to vallejo water effects!

N.b. the base still has the awful plastic stem... and you've attached a metal thing to the base. Its begging for a snapping bro 😂 I'll pop the smoke trails in a basket ready for ya 🤣
But still good work. And good finding a new product that can unlock lots of different potential results 👌

Badger_of_doom #3144

The resin was a £5 from my local hardware shop but you can get from other places for about 3.50 I believe. It's workable for around 5 mins and fully set in 24 hours so still a bit tacky at present

James #3147

Custom Custom Custom
Awesome. This is probably what i should have used for the ogroids base! Wanted a cracked ice effect.

pawl #3148

Custom Custom Custom
I'm actually not the biggest fan of the smoke trails as the angles of the smoke never look right in relation to the angle of the jets, so I congratulate you for doing something yourself 😜

Badger_of_doom #3171

Thanks @pawl I think one thing I will make note of is to put less of the tesseract glow in the resin. But definitely happy as a first attempt

pawl #3172

Custom Custom Custom
I think James found that it takes the colour almost too well, and you've got to be sparing with it.

If I might make another suggestion? Had you used another colour for the barrel (like say a deep red) the colour would have popped a little more, which I think would improve the overall look. =]

Badger_of_doom #3173

I have 4 of these barrels things I made at the same time 2 red and 2 blue. So it was pot luck on the blue but I do have some Memphiston red ones
pawl liked this

James #3179

Custom Custom Custom
Yep needs to be a drop if you want to retain any translucency 👍

Badger_of_doom #3209

following on from my initial attempt I have gone on to finish the squad in the same way although I decided not to have a barrel on the other 2.
I also used a lot less of the paint mixed in with the resin which has given it a lot more translucency and used a cocktail stick to add blobs of paint after i applied it to the base which i think gives it a polluted river effect.

this is my first real attempt at basing so all in all I am really happy with the results
Hobby Workshop