Welcome to The Warp Storm! 👋
While you're welcome to look around we recommend you login or register to get the full benefits of the site, allowing you to talk to our members and show off your work! =]
New boxed sets, useless tools and game-changing paints - come and tell us all about your new toys or where you got them from!

James #1835

Custom Custom Custom
Hi guys
So i finally got gloss black primer from gsw so i can do a review of my Vallejo Shifters and also one from gsw called Emerald Getaway.
Here are my test primers
And my test setup on necromunda bases.

Have to say doing this test really reminded me why i hate whites. Just doing those bases and the brush got clogged.

One thing i noticed the gsw paint was abit thicker so i think would apply well with regualr brush but also meant i did get some airbrush clogging with this straight out of bottle.
Here are the results this morning after drying.
A couple of caveats.. i was in a super rush and wanted to not have to clean my airbrush tonnes.. so ive opted for one thick layer rather than suggested several thin layers which has backfired abit on some of them.

Order from left to right;
GSW emerald getaway
Vallejo red/gold
Vallejo green/blue violet
Vallejo electric blue
Vallejo old gold/violet
Vallejo orange violet
Vallejo gold/brown

And quick vid

So conclusions...
I'm not wowed by them but I've really done a bad job on them by rushing so i dont think its an entirely fair trial.
First off gloss primer is the way to go... for a more impressive effect so ive not bothered to show the others.. But i do kinda like the whites with the blue ones. Think twilight shimmering yes the film lol. But kinda cool.
Ive ruined two Red/gold and orange/violet. Over pooling etc. so effect looks wrong.
I think electric blue has to be the best there. Very wow looking. Also the green blue violet very nice. Also looks like the vallejo is more shimmery than the gsw stuff. But i think i was able to apply the former more easily.
Definitely food for thought here regarding what to do with these.
Hobby Workshop

pawl #1847

Custom Custom Custom
Do you think the final quality is dependant on the base colour, the gloss finish or both? A gloss coat over a white or coloured base might also give reasonable results, no?

Glad to see you're playing though - who doesn't love making a mess in the name of science? 😂

James #1848

Custom Custom Custom
Yes i think both to a certain degree. I wonder if more layers are required with the flat silver and white? Not sure.
But yes fun to experiment and to get an idea of what I'm going to do. I love the blues and the greens... im wondering if a mix of the two would provide something interesting too... and possibly more alpha legion ish? But im kinda thinking if it looks good i should just roll with it.. i can always say they are a successor chapter or a splinter chaos faction.... so just need to have a think!

pawl #1850

Custom Custom Custom
Just go find some plastic spoons and go mad for a bit 😉
James liked this
Hobby Workshop