Welcome to The Warp Storm! πŸ‘‹
While you're welcome to look around we recommend you login or register to get the full benefits of the site, allowing you to talk to our members and show off your work! =]
For all things relating to tabletop warfare.

James #1718

Custom Custom Custom
So got my indomitus marines together and formed a 1000 point incursion army of unpainted salamanders to take on my mates ultramarines.
Also used some new wargames tournament terrain. Worked nicely.
Definitely feels like gw are making the new units very powerful... presumably to sell as much stuff as possible.
But overall id say i really liked 9th so far. Its very objective based which is good. Not just about killing eachother. I think the new vehicle rules make sense. And the command point changes are good too. I think smaller battlefields is good stops gunlines being as common i guess. Also strategic reserves definitely keeps it interesting.
Hobby Workshop

pawl #1722

Custom Custom Custom
Definitely going sallies then?

Anything from 8th you would have kept, or that felt clunky in 9th?

And you didn't say, so I'm assuming you lost? 😜

James #1725

Custom Custom Custom
I think so yeah. Their forged in battle ability is awesome. Ignores things that have ap -1 so thafs alot of things. And also each unit get a reroll on hits and wounds every time they shoot. I think using the shift paints i can have an easy on the eye army very quickly. I like the primaris indomitus but im not bothered about attempting to "pro" paint any of them really so i think i could do a very quick but easy on the eye and look super coool as an army.

Well i used most of the indomitus guys. They were all very good. Bladeguard veterans are super hard to kill. Eradicators are OP against high wound things. Assault intercessors were abit meh but they had to just sit and hold points really. Outriders were good until i kinda scewedd up and charged the predator with them. And the middle guy died which meant they were out of coherency so the 2nd dissapeard. Annoying as if i hadnt lost that 2nd guy i think they would have taken the predator down.

The only non indomitus were vindicare assassin, stormtalon and landspeeder. And ive never actually used any of them in 8th. The vindicare was good but wasn't enough enemy characters to be worth it i think. Stormalon looks great but is crap tbh. But fun to use a proper flyer and came in from reserves and stuff. Landspeeder actually really good for the points. Id definitely be interested in getting another two so could have a team of 3 of them.

We didn't finish but by the end of turn 3 i was probably about 20 or 30 VP ahead! I dont think Adam realised how important the objectives were. Especially holding the 3 in your territory. But one thing was i think the new indomitus stuff is really OP atm as gw want to force everyone to buy it. And all the old intercessors and everything has gone up in points cost.. so it was abit tough for my mate really.

pawl #1736

Custom Custom Custom
I forget sometimes that you look at more than paint and lore πŸ˜‚ for speed, base colours and using @Lovecraft0110's video for black-lining, perhaps?

I would imagine that the Indomitus releases are going to be unbalanced for the time being - as other codices are updated for 9th then things should level out, you would think. Primaris and Necrons will have been tweaked, but everything else is still running on old stat lines.
And I've seen a few people mention that strategy has more importance now than a simple "smash everything" tactic, which I'm obviously in favour of (as a non-gamer πŸ˜‚)

James #1748

Custom Custom Custom
Haha its hard. Id love to paint everything to the standard of the crawler and contemptor and beyond when i get better but i think i ever want a fully painted army i have to find ways to be able to get stuff done that looks good but wont take me weeks per mini. Or atleast have some armies where ive gone more battle ready than pro paint. Thinking dg ill try hard to paint as best as poss. Salamanders battle ready. Space wolves probably more effort as they have some cool models. Chaos stuff unsure yet. Necrons... im hoping for batch weathering!!
And don't worry for salamanders ill still be doing work to make them look good. Yes i think ill try pin washing with ammo dark wash.

Yeah pretty much. Death guard look to have done quite well out of the points updates too.
Haha yeah.. in that one mission it was very important to keep those objectives in your home field. Adam left one of his and that cost him.

pawl #1754

Custom Custom Custom
Contrast is going to save me with the Orks for that reason! I'm loving the idea of speed painting being a viable option for me now though! Guard will go the same way, I think.

I haven't been following the points-based threads elsewhere to be honest, because I don't have anything to compare them to. All I'm interested in is where the Primaris path leads.

Not paying attention, clearly! Although every Ork knows that the battlefield isn't going anywhere so you're better off getting stuck in! πŸ˜‚

James #1762

Custom Custom Custom
Orks are cool. Atleast they've stopped daisy chains being a thing now. The first guy i played against did a daisy chain of 25 ork boys across the entire battlefield lol

That specific mission had 6 objective markers which was kind of alot. You would have not much to actually attack with once you guarded the markers.

pawl #1772

Custom Custom Custom
Good kunnin' Orky taktiks! πŸ˜‚

Would simply taking your opponent's from them not be enough?

James #1785

Custom Custom Custom
Haha yep in 8th you could control 2 objectives with same unit, think they've rightly stopped that.

Yea that is true at the moment we are playing around 1000 point battles so its quite difficult to wipe out a unit straight away especially 2 wound primaris. That being said.. opponent did it to me hellblasters took out my assault intercessors in one shooting phase
pawl liked this

James #1859

Custom Custom Custom
Played 2nd game of 9th this week.
750 points of my alpha legion vs 750 points of Adams death guard.
Really enjoyable match... and we actually completed our first ever game. Usually turn 2 or 3 is far as we get.
Finally got to try out my chaos possessed bomb which was fun but they kind of got bogged down abit. Stand out performer for me was the csm sorcerer. Did some great smites.
Score was about 45 to 35. DG dominated the main objective points but alpha legion really pulled in the secondaries to just pip it.
However i have since realised I accidentally cheated one of the sorcerors buffing powers affected model not unit!!! So apologies Adam.
I think it wouldnt have had a monstrous affect on the game... the poxwalkers would have lasted one more turn maybe. But they didnt really achieve much after killing them...
I think its been my best tabletop game so far. Very close game. Would have been even closer if not for my cheating.
Hobby Workshop