Welcome to The Warp Storm! 👋
While you're welcome to look around we recommend you login or register to get the full benefits of the site, allowing you to talk to our members and show off your work! =]
Paint jobs, conversions, terrain pieces... whatever you're working on!

James #4837

Custom Custom Custom
Looks quite good. Like the texture to it for sure.

Weird that you found the chipping fluid difficult to use. It should be super thin really. Almost to the point where its too easy to douse miniatures in it.
Unsure on whether blow drying it is good idea though, did trft members suggest it?
I do find chipping fluid a stressful method.. I'm definitely pro liquid mask chipping now.. Time is much more on your side with it whereas id start flapping when doing chip fluid.
Hobby Workshop

pawl #4838

Custom Custom Custom
James wrote: 17 May 22, 00:06 Looks quite good. Like the texture to it for sure.

Weird that you found the chipping fluid difficult to use. It should be super thin really. Almost to the point where its too easy to douse miniatures in it.
Unsure on whether blow drying it is good idea though, did trft members suggest it?
I do find chipping fluid a stressful method.. I'm definitely pro liquid mask chipping now.. Time is much more on your side with it whereas id start flapping when doing chip fluid.
I'm still worried that I've over-textured and it'll come back to bite me, but this is all about learning through mistakes! 😁 I'm just hoping that if i jump up to a brighter orange that it'll start to look a little more how I'm imagining it, will help me to worry a little less that I'm doing it all wrong!

Maybe I didn't shake it enough? It wasn't exactly a syrup-like consistency, just thicker than I had expected. I also didn't thin it (a very quick Google search showed others not doing so, and I haven't exactly mastered thinning for the AB, so I just went with it) or adjust my compressor (pure laziness combined with not knowing what effect it would have) which might explain why it took more trigger action to spray.
As for the removal of the next layer I simply didn't know what to expect. Having not used the stuff before I had kind of expected it to come away fairly easily, but I also don't know if I layered too heavily, or if the reduced drying time had an effect... it's all new territory, so I'm just fumbling my way through 😁

None of the TRFT lot suggested the hairdryer, but I know that they (or heat guns) are popular for drying glazes or washes, so I figured I could probably get away with it. That and I simply didn't want to have to wait twenty minutes while it fully dried - in future (if I ever manage to get an extended session in again!) I might just bring some lizards down to assemble while I'm waiting.

The liquid mask I haven't opened yet, partially due to my apparent inability to use sponges properly 😂 I might do for the next colour though, just to see how they work. That way if it all goes wrong it's a little easier to hide as it'll be early on in the process!

James #4841

Custom Custom Custom
Hmm yeh maybe needed more shaking. I don't think I've ever needed to thin the CF before so try and avoid. Unless you've got a knackered batch or it's got warm or something during storage 🤔
A slightly higher psi probably good I'd probs aim for 25 maybe.

The dryer might have no effect but feels risky to me. But I say I find the CF method scary even though I have had some nice results from it.

Looking forward to seeing what happens next with it tho 👍
Hobby Workshop