Welcome to The Warp Storm! 👋
While you're welcome to look around we recommend you login or register to get the full benefits of the site, allowing you to talk to our members and show off your work! =]
If you've written or recorded something to help your fellow hobbyists share it with us here.

pawl #382

Custom Custom Custom
Simple guide to stripping plastic & metal miniatures
At some point there's a good chance you'll find yourself wanting to strip some models down to repaint, whether they be old paintjobs you want to redo, failed test models or eBay rescues in need of a fresh start. CLICK HERE to see how to get your models squeaky clean and ready for a fresh paint job! 😁
Hobby Workshop

James #397

Custom Custom Custom
Brilliant guide mate!!!! Really in depth but still simple to follow!!! Nice to see one of my old minis getting a clean up! The dv sergeant is a great model.
Think I'm going to get myself both of these. Acetone and isopropyl. Plenty of takeaway tubs around too 🤣
Got rotbringers sorcerer and daemon prince that'll need stripping!

Also was your cutting board green before? Looks better in that colour 🤣
Last edited by pawl on 16 May 20, 21:11, edited 1 time in total. Reason: Cleaning up double post

pawl #399

Custom Custom Custom
Cheers man! I'll get round to the FAQ when I can be bothered, but the resin addition might take a while as I haven't worked with it before.

I wasn't a fan at first but he's grown on me as a sculpt, I must admit!

You can find both on Amazon and eBay easily enough. At the minute I'm having better luck (and cheaper prices) on eBay, as Amazon aren't stocking a lot it would seem. Just don't forget to check the storage requirements in both sections!
I would recommend buying by the litre at least. I've used ~300ml of acetone today stripping a handful of figures (the jar happened to hold what I could fit in my hand!) and the half that hasn't evaporated is brown and full of paint and bits, and will need replacing tomorrow.

Nope, purple on one side and pink on the other 😂

James #404

Custom Custom Custom
Have you stripped the rest of the dv guys? Can't wait to see them all built.

I'll have a look and keep you posted! Thanks for this!

pawl #406

Custom Custom Custom
Not yet. I've got a load of metal models sat in my iso to soften up the super glue while I was waiting on acetone. I could only find it in small volumes on Amazon and I've already made it, so now I've been on eBay I've got some more coming. Once that arrives I can finish this metal batch, and move the next lot out of the iso, which will free up space for plastic.

Must admit that I'm impressed with how well the acetone is working - I've tried nail varnish remover in the past and it's not in the same league as the pure stuff. What's left in the jar is a thick brown colour, and some of the models had basically stripped themselves! This batch will go back into the new stuff though, just for a surface clean. By the end of my session earlier the acetone was leaving colour on the models due to how much paint was in it!

The one I've got on the way is this stuff.

A litre was a shade cheaper than I paid for 300ml on Amazon, and some of their other listings go up to 5L I think. I would have bought more to save money in the long run but I have storage space to think about!

James #415

Custom Custom Custom
I've ordered some isopropyl alcohol.
I made a boo boo. Put a new wash on the gangers on tuesday and the paint started peeling and bubbling again... even after two days of drying. People really don't tell you, you need to varnish the hell out of stuff if your going to go over it 😫
So I've been abit meh with painting last couple of days and I'm gna strip them and start again.
My big order from wayland turned up finally. So I think I'm going to start one of my contemptors since I've got all the weathering pigments to try!
Hope you've had some better fortune in hobbying than me this week 😀

James #416

Custom Custom Custom
Question... can you reuse the isopropyl?
So I leave some guys in 24 hours and strip them. The container with the iso.. can I just stick whatever needs to stripped next into it or is that iso done and need to be binned?

pawl #423

Custom Custom Custom
That's the first thing I need to put in the FAQ!
Yes. I've been using the same tub for a little while now - so long as it's still there keep going! There may come a point where it starts to lose efficiency (I'm not a chemist, I don't know why it works or if it will stop), but if that doesn't happen just keep topping it up as it evaporates.

If you find the bottom of the container ends up murky and full of bits, pour it through coffee filter paper into a new container. You might lose a bit to the air, but it will help get rid of all the gunk.

James #429

Custom Custom Custom
Nice one. I've bought a litre of it so I'm hoping it will last!
pawl liked this

James #502

Custom Custom Custom
@pawl I left the guys to strip for about 30 hours and then I've realised I don't have time to use a brush. So I've got them out and dried them off abit.
When I eventually have time to use a brush on em... will they need redunking first do you reckon?
Same with the acetone guys. Altho I can see the paint looks like it's going to come really easy on them already.
I probably should have made sure I had time to finish the stripping process before just charging ahead.
Hobby Workshop