Welcome to The Warp Storm! πŸ‘‹
While you're welcome to look around we recommend you login or register to get the full benefits of the site, allowing you to talk to our members and show off your work! =]
If you've written or recorded something to help your fellow hobbyists share it with us here.

pawl #507

Custom Custom Custom
You'll be fine to leave them in there, don't worry! I've had plastic sitting in IPA for weeks on end, it won't damage it. Leave them in there until you're ready to go, and pull them out one at a time. Dip your brush in to wet it and just scrub. You'll want to keep the brush wet though - as everything dries the paint seems to begin adhering to the model again, especially with plastic.

With the acetone there's a chance you'll see it almost falling off, like the Terminator in the guide. If it doesn't just scrub anyway, and if needs be once you've removed a layer, let it soak for another minute and start again. The acetone is likely due up a brown mess from the paint but it will still work perfectly fine. If you happen to notice that it's leaving a dark coating on the models carry on anyway and get the paint off. A quick wash in IPA when you're done will leave them nice and shiny, and you're not wasting any acetone by replacing it too soon. πŸ‘Œ

It can take a little time (most of it spent dipping, scrubbing, dipping, scrubbing...) but it will do the job with a bit of work.

Oh, and if you're not removing models or wetting your brush keep your container sealed. Less wasted chemicals due to evaporation, and less horrible vapours to breathe in! (although I know you'll be being safe and using a mask 😜)
Hobby Workshop

James #511

Custom Custom Custom
Ah phew. I'll dunk em all back in tomorrow then and maybe try strip them Friday evening.

Gloves and mask and keeping it outside so the cats don't go looking for it haha!
Hoping this will sort them 30k marines so I can convert a bunch of them into possessed!

James #512

Custom Custom Custom
Thanks mate!

James #513

Custom Custom Custom
Before

After

Not perfect but pretty damn good. Got whatever that crap they put on it off. Was like they'd used a gw technical paint as a wash....
Definitely good enough for chaos marines and chaos possessed conversions!
The metal ones are gna need a few attempts I think cos it's just nail polish remover.

Doing the mountain tomorrow so had time to do the stripping!
Last edited by pawl on 28 May 20, 14:32, edited 1 time in total. Reason: Double post

pawl #515

Custom Custom Custom
Happy days, don't think they've come out too badly at all! 😁

Ouch! For the sake of a tenner it's worth picking up some proper acetone. Tried using nail varnish remover about 10 years ago, didn't do a thing! Think there's still some bits sat in it somewhere, and it wouldn't surprise me if it still hasn't done anything! πŸ˜‚

James #516

Custom Custom Custom
Haha I may do if second time of scrubbing doesn't help with the daemon prince. Has got alot off just the crevices are abit tricky. But the Mrs has said I've spent too much since I spent about 100 yesterday as it was payday.

pawl #522

Custom Custom Custom
Try loosening it a little with a toothpick or something similar, help the acetone in. Then wet your brush and scrub/stab/whatever works to get the bristles in, see if it helps get rid of it at all.
Nice! πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚

James #525

Custom Custom Custom
Ill have to go dig out something stabby shaped haha 🀣 keep you posted.
Also gna need to strip those delaque gangers and the space wolf terminators So we'll see how well sloppy seconds works.

pawl #530

Custom Custom Custom
With the ISO in particular it's dead easy. I've found that it barely takes on any colour from the paint, and seems to just keep working.
Acetone quickly becomes brown and messy, so my plan is to use two batches. One 'dirty' to remove 99% of the paint, one 'clean' to do a final rinse with to remove discolouration.

James #646

Custom Custom Custom
The daemon prince paint is really starting to come apart
Also used the iso on a bunch of primaris intercessors and reivers and the necro gangers I got cheap a while back. Worked well but had two disasters.. managed to get some iso on the cat so I had to have a shower with her to make sure it was all off her... So she wasn't best pleased with that. 2nd managed to stain the patio with the red gunky iso from all the layers on red airbrush paint. Managed to scrub it off mostly but was a stressful day!
Hobby Workshop