Welcome to The Warp Storm! 👋
While you're welcome to look around we recommend you login or register to get the full benefits of the site, allowing you to talk to our members and show off your work! =]
For any other hobby talk that doesn't quite fit in the forums below.
  • No avatar

pawl #2746

Custom Custom Custom
I think really it depends on what you want in the long run. If you were to paint up a test model and decide that you much prefer it, you can either swap to that style and just let the old models stay as they are, or you can repaint the old models.
If you're nearing the end of the army and don't plan to add much more to it then you might as well stick with the old style, and try the new one on something different.
If you're planning to add much more, then maybe if you find a significantly better way of doing things then it's worth at least considering doing things that way. Whether or not the old models stick out next to them is something you can only really find out by giving it a go.

It's definitely not an easy decision to make, but a test never hurts!
Pharia liked this
Hobby Workshop
No avatar

Pharia #2756

Been reading some on airbrushing specifically on zenithial highlighting. Question though... it seems the best way to paint what you want over your pre highlights is contrast/shades or glazes. If you went for a black with white highlighting. I guess you could go for the color you want. But it seems a black/white prehighlighting is favored. But won't you just destroy your airbrushing work by applying paints? If you would use regular base paints? : say you wanted to paint a ultramarine... you start with black and coat the model-> spray white above and then white again on just the upper part. And then paint in the blue? To get a good coverage you would do 2 coats of this? Then the model is just blue.... hahahaha. Seems you could ruin the pre work quickly :S again i only own citadel paints... even contrastpainta can get (bad covering) from just one coat of paint...

James #2757

Custom Custom Custom
Yeah zenithal only really works if you use a super thin paint layer over the top. Otherwise you will just cover it up. Some people like to zenithal just to get an idea of how the model looks and what bits should be getting a highlight.
Its not zenithal but in that dark angels tutorial i sent you hes kinda doing the same thing. Paints it black. Then does some airbrush highlights in white grey. Then does a dark glaze/super thin layer to bring it all together.
Pharia liked this

pawl #2764

Custom Custom Custom
I'll link the video directly to save people the Spikeybits experience...

I'll take a proper look later on (currently editing the site templates!), but the pictures look rather good!
No avatar

Pharia #2770

Haha ty :p

James #2772

Custom Custom Custom
pawl wrote: 08 Feb 21, 20:02 I'll link the video directly to save people the Spikeybits experience...
My hero!!
No avatar

Pharia #2798

Quick question concerning paints for airbrushing ?
If one were to buy paints just for airbrushing. I guess it would be inks ? Where do you start and what brand do you go for. And ofc how to compare them to gw paints? Color wise...
I've allso heard that contrast paints are interesting to use with an airbrush. Havent tested it out yet. Anyone else with any experience useimg them with an airbrush?

James #2801

Custom Custom Custom
Hi mate!
I have a good range of different stuff.
So i have mostly vallejo air paints which are great dont require to be thinned and have nice dropper bottles. Would recommend.
I have a few gw airbrush paints. Dont love them as much as i love vallejo. I seem to get speckling whenever i use them lol. But maybe just bad luck. I have had some ok results from them. Paint pots are god awful tho.
I have some secret weapon paints which while not airbrush paints work great with a bit of thinner. Really recommend these.
I regularly use gw normal paints thinned and using flow improver fine just need to be careful getting the mix correct.
I have liquitex inks but im yet to use through an airbrush! But that may be about to change. But marco frisoni uses them alot in his painting if your interested.
So for me go for vallejo where possible over gw for airbrush specific paints!
No comment on contrast tho!

pawl #2803

Custom Custom Custom
To add on to what James said, you can use pretty much anything through an airbrush. Cheap craft paint that you buy for kids? Thin in down enough and you can throw it from an AB! Oil paint that comes out of a squeezy tube as a solid? Yep, just make sure it's thinned! 😁

Some paint ranges (Vallejo Model Air, Vallejo Metal Color, Citadel Air etc) are designed for use with an airbrush - come already thinned so in theory you can just drop them in and spray. Sometimes you may find you wish to thin them further, but trial and error is key. You can also usually use these paints with a regular brush without any issues!
Other 'normal acrylic' paint ranges (regular Citadel, Scale 75, Vallejo Model/Game Color, P3...) can also be stuffed into an airbrush, but you'll need to thin them down (using water, or mediums/thinners - different folks have different opinions on how to mix) so that they don't clog up.
You can also use inks, shades, Contrast etc through an airbrush, but they will provide a different result to standard or airbrush-ready acrylics.
Pharia liked this
Hobby Workshop