Welcome to The Warp Storm! 👋
While you're welcome to look around we recommend you login or register to get the full benefits of the site, allowing you to talk to our members and show off your work! =]
Paint jobs, conversions, terrain pieces... whatever you're working on!

James #2904

Custom Custom Custom
Managed to get abit further with this.
Still a long way off being done.
Was hoping to have this done today to a semi ok standard but the wifetobe's grandad died this morning so no paint plans possible. So i wont be able to throw him in the mix for the "race for terra" blackshield challenge unfortunately.
pawl liked this
Hobby Workshop

James #2929

Custom Custom Custom
Getting closer with this.
Bones basically done.
Repainted the big arm tentacle to tie in with the others. Touched up a few bits.
Have pulled the trigger on getting some oil paints after seeing how effective the oil washes look. So this may go on the shelf till they arrive.

pawl #2941

Custom Custom Custom
Looks much better with some colours on I think, but I'm interested to see how you get on with the oils, and how they compare to working with enamels!

James #2947

Custom Custom Custom
Yeah same. The video we saw made it look super easy but don't they all. Should be here soon so we should find out soon 👌🏻

pawl #2972

Custom Custom Custom
Any plans outside of the dirt/rust effect?

James #2976

Custom Custom Custom
Nothing ground breaking i dont think. Maybe a blue eye lens for a change 😜😜
He's not far from being done once he gets the OYUL treatment.
He's nothing special but not bad for a quickly painted mini. Will probably be quickest turnaround yet.
@pawl any suggestions for the bolter colour? I was going to do a grey.... but open to suggestions? Could do red again?

pawl #2984

Custom Custom Custom
You go steady there! 😉

Not sure a red Bolter would work on this one - with the public tentacle wrapped around it I think it would probably throw the balance off. Something closer to the armour colour (like a grey. Would work better I reckon.

James #2987

Custom Custom Custom
Grey it is.
Pretty much everything done now except the eye and some tasteful metal edge highlighting.
Oil washes applied. Hopefully itll dry looking good.... 😬😬
Not sure if i got as goood a capillary action as cult of paints did. Should have gloss varnished. But hopefully the result will look good still.

Edit: Its dead hard to get pics of this guy. But the oil effect is quite subtle but nice.

pawl #2991

Custom Custom Custom
You should be able to get it to work without any capillary action, there will just be more work involved.

I like what I can see though! It looks like it's time out quite similar to the DA vid, in that it's clearly present but quite soft. How easy was it to work with?

James #2995

Custom Custom Custom
Yeah it did work. Just didnt float into the recesses like it would have if glossed.

Really easy!! Just a dab of oil in a pot then a load of thinner mix. Then a panel liner into the recesses. Easy peasy. And sets quicker than enamels i think.
I have done two layers in places tho as i over did the blacker mix on themetal areas so I've touched up this morning with the brown again.

Just the lens and base rim to do 👌
Edit: done. Just to get some snaps later
Hobby Workshop