Welcome to The Warp Storm! 👋
While you're welcome to look around we recommend you login or register to get the full benefits of the site, allowing you to talk to our members and show off your work! =]
Paint jobs, conversions, terrain pieces... whatever you're working on!

James #1935

Custom Custom Custom
Getting there slowly. Did all the silver and last few colour blocks in.
Then i decided to redo the smoke based of a gwtv shaman smoke guide by mr "two thin coats" himself. Quite happy with the outcome and relative ease rather blending and spending ages.
Also did the the skin touch ups just blend the airbrush mistake areas which i was abit worried about but they look alright now.
I've also stopped myself being too lazy and done two of the cables underneath blue to break up the grey black abit.
I might try to gloss varnish it tomorrow before doing any washes as washes seem to work alot better on glossed surfaces...
Im starting to like the model again now slightly which is refreshing.
Hobby Workshop

pawl #1938

Custom Custom Custom
Washes will run better on gloss due to capillary action, similar to @Lovecraft0110's vids on enamels. =] Definitely looks better now it's blocked in though, glad to hear you're getting on better with it!

James #1942

Custom Custom Custom
Yes they do. Ive done some of the smaller wash locations now after a few touch ups.
I wont do the flesh or the green armour until after glossing as these are more critical. But its coming along now! I will need to layer up the bone sections too obvs.

James #1947

Custom Custom Custom
Getting closer.
Alot of the smaller details done like green gloops and the cables and bones.
Happy with the flattened bronze and very subtly highlighted but its abit of a rush job. Im deliberately just kind of hitting bits of it. And ive mixed the bronze with the gold for the highlight rather than highlight straight to the gold so keeps it abit less stark highlight.
Im really happy with the bone and smoke coming out of the top. Not spent much time on it but think its a nice effect vs time spent .
Things to do... decide how ill be doing the crazy eye ball. Which im looking forward to.
Then ill be varnishing.. and then i can do the washing and enamels... on the flesh and green armour. Also need to decide on basing... not sure yet.

pawl #1950

Custom Custom Custom
This is coming on really nicely 👌

Are you planning to re-highlight after the washing? The bronze/gold highlights show in the photos but you have to look for them, however that may just be the lighting. Perhaps a tiny touch of silver in the mix? Smoke looks much better too, only just noticed it 🙈

Going to look superb once it's all dirty though! 😁

James #1951

Custom Custom Custom
There is some very slight highlighting there. Ive mixed the bronze and the gold id usually use for the highlight to give it a slight lift but not as stark as usual which i think works quite well for it. I think its difficult to see in the pic.. can see it slightly on the bronze bar that goes over the top.
Yeah im happy with the smoke... think the last models i did with smoke i really struggled to get something looking good and this was nice and super easy.

Hes been varnished now. Decided on a matt so not to make the mini super shiny... i dont need the capillary action so much on the guy so should still be fine on the enamels!

pawl #1956

Custom Custom Custom
Must must be the pictures then perhaps. You can either see more than with your eyes or nothing at all! 😂

I've literally never tried to paint smoke or fire simply because I know I would end up getting frustrated with it!

Yeah? I would have thought that it would just make it that little bit easier. Either way I'm looking forward to seeing how he comes out!

James #1957

Custom Custom Custom
Haha theres definitely a fairly rushed highlight lol... its just not super obvious but i kinda thought that would be a good idea and not overly eavy metal esque.

Eurgh when i tried to do the green smoke on the blightlords i think i had to redo it like 3 times.. so relatively this has been a breeze.. easier as the smoke is alot bigger i guess!!

If your wanting to panel lining it totally does.. but with this im wanting to do quite a messy wash probably all over the green and then i can slowly reveal the green under neath it by removing the enamel if that makes sense.
If i did gloss then the rest of the mini would then be all glossed and look abit weird and shiny. Cba using the putty again. Incidentally ak are sending me a new one i think!!
I ended up doing a messier technique on the contemptor and it came together fine in the end.

pawl #1961

Custom Custom Custom
Anything that avoids heavy edge highlighting is fine in my book!

I came across a fire/smoke contrast tutorial the other day, will have to try and find it again for you.

You do know you can varnish it matte afterwards and the glossy finish will disappear? 😂
That aside it does make perfect sense though, can't fault your logic!

James #1962

Custom Custom Custom
Yeah sounds good. Im sure ill have more stupid smoke plumes to do on my death guard!!

Haha i have heard this... but i would be slightly frightened to try it incase it didnt work if that makes sense 🤣
Hobby Workshop